Responsible Tourism is a relatively new concept that has gained prominence in a short time. Participants of the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development in 1999 acknowledged the importance of economic, social and environmental aspects of sustainable development in order to preserve the interests of indigenous peoples and their communities. Tourism industry swiftly came forward to consider those needs through a sustainable approach in tourism. It was the 2002 Cape Town Declaration on Responsible Tourism that took the initial steps.
What is Responsible Tourism?
In simple terms, responsible tourism intends to create "better places for people to live in, and better places to visit". The management of tourism and the related activities with an aim of maximizing not just economic but also social and environmental benefits at the same time minimizing the negative costs in the destinations is responsible tourism. There are three major objectives of responsible tourism:
• Economic Growth
• Environmental Integrity
• Social Justice
The tourism sector of a country, the communities of the destinations and the government join hands to achieve sustainable tourism development that is eventually also responsible tourism.
How does Allied adventure travel support Responsible Tourism?
Allied adventure travel, understands the need for everyone involved in the tourism sector to support the principles of responsible tourism. We are culturally sensitive. We believe in fostering respect between tourists and hosts. We have adopted responsible tourism policy and have a clearly defined action plan. We strictly base our services around the economic, environmental and social principles of responsible tourism. We are committed to the following causes:
• Minimizing negative economic, environmental as well as social impacts on the communities and people we work with.
• Generating greater economic benefits for communities and their people.
• Enhancing the wellbeing of the communities.
• Involving local people in the decision making related to our business and services.
• Making positive contribution towards the conservation of the natural and cultural heritage of the communities.
• Providing tourists more experiences that are enjoyable by connecting with the local people, their cultural as well as social and environmental issues.
• Providing opportunities to the qualified as well as the needy people of the community and working with them for in education and community health issues.