Get set to experience the exotic culture of Tibet! Saga Dawa Festival is an important festival amongst the Buddhist people which is celebrated to honour the life of Lord Buddha. It is said that – Lord Buddha, at the time of his death had requested his fellow follower not to cry or be sad on his death. He had strictly restricted everyone from offering flowers and lights over him, after his death. He had requested everyone to be happy and strive to follow his teachings for living a noble life. Death is an ultimate truth and all the compound objects like human body should surely disintegrate.
Saga Dawa Festival is celebrated each year on the full moon day of fourth lunar month of Tibetan calendar. Each year, during the period of Saga Dawa, pilgrimages from around the world come to Mt. Kailash to perform Kora. A giant flagpole at Tarpoche is taken down ritually and replaced by a new one.
The colorful flag pole is raised high and pointed towards Gyandrak monastery. The monks in the monastery perform some rituals and the ceremony is accompanied by music from long trumpets, conch cells and other musical instruments. The flagpole should stand straight otherwise it is believed that some bad things might happen in Tibet.
Beside this, on this holy occasion, people visit many temples, monasteries and pray. They light butter lights and find peace within their mind. Therefore, come along with Nepal Hiking Team to rejoice this auspicious occasion of Saga Dawa Festival in Saga Dawa Festival Tour.
Day 01 - Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
Arrive in Kathmandu at any time. Our airport representative will welcome you and explain the program further. There are no planned activities for the day, so check into the hotel. Enjoy your overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 02 - Tours preparation and Kathmandu valley sightseeing tour
Day 03 - Drive Kathmandu to Nyalam 3750 m (150 km)
Day 04 - Nyalam –free for acclimatization
Day 05 - Nyalam – New Dongba 4600m (390 km)
Day 06 - New Dongba – Mansarovar 4558m (277 km) Duration: 7-8 hrs
Day 07 - Mansarovar – Tarchen (40 km) Duration: 2-3 hrs
Day 08 - (25th May 2015): Attend to the Saga Dawa festival at Tarboche (Festival Day) Full moon
Day 09 - Tarchen – Tarboche (13 km drive) – Dirapuk (4860m.) (7 km trek / 5 – 6 hrs)
Day 10 - Dirapuk – Zuthulpuk (4760m) (18 km trek / 9-10 km) (passing through Dolma-la pass 5,200)
Day 11 - Zuthulpuk – Tarchen (Darchen) (10 km / 4-5 hrs) – Mansarovar- Dongba (end of Kailash Parikrama)
Day 12 - Drive Dongba to Nyalam
Day 13 - Drive to Kathmandu
Day 14 – Farewell
• Destination: Tibet
• Trip Grade: Moderate, Strenuous
• Max Elevation: 5600 m
• Total Duration: 14 days
• Best Time: May - June
• Group Size: 03 - 20 People
• All ground transports in private vehicle including airport transfers
• Three nights’ accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Kathmandu
• Kathmandu city tours including all entry fees, tour guide and private vehicle
• Best available twin sharing Lodge/Guesthouses during the Tibet tours
• Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) approved guide for Tibet tours
• Yaks and Yak-men to carry baggage while Kailash Parikrama
• Tibet entry travel permit, Chinese visa and applicable entry fees during the trek/tours in Nepal/Tibet
• Oxygen cylinder for Kailash Parikrama
• All government taxes and official expense
• Meals not specified in the 'Meal Inclusions' in the itinerary'
• Travel insurance
• International airfare
• Nepal entry visa
• All cold drinks such as: alcoholic beverages, mineral water, Coke, Fanta, juice, etc.
• Nepali staff for Tibet tours
• Shopping, laundry, internet, phone bills
• Personal trekking equipment
• Extra cost of transportation, porters involved due landslides, snowfall
• Services other than specified. Extra days stay at Kathmandu/any other place
• Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tipping is appreciated but it is not mandatory)
18 daysLhasa Mt. Kailash